Dr. Erin Arnold is a board-certified, leading expert in the field of rheumatology, pioneering an aggressive, comprehensive approach to patient care emphasizing a unique diagnostic and treatment regimen focusing on remission of disease.
As the first American Rheumatologist fellowship-trained in Diagnostic and Interventional Musculoskeletal Ultrasound, Dr. Arnold saw the critical importance of incorporating multiple diagnostic techniques, measurements and therapies to provide the most effective personal treatment plans for each of her patients. To that end, Dr. Arnold developed a unique, accredited ultrasound exam that diagnoses inflammatory and crystal-induced arthritis, and follows the patient’s response to therapy.
Dr. Arnold is an active member of the rheumatology community, advocating for her patients and colleagues for advancements and innovation. She completed a three-year term as a Member of the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) Board of Directors and Rheumatology Research Foundation Board of Directors. She served as an ACR liaison to the Arthritis Foundation and the American College of Radiology. In addition, she represented her patients and the ACR on visits to Capitol Hill, meeting with members of the House and Senate.
Rheumatologists around the country regularly request Dr. Arnold to speak about her unique approach to the care of patients with autoimmune diseases.
Dr. Arnold is a native of the North Shore of Chicago where she currently resides with her husband and two sons. She is a graduate of New Trier High School and the University of Illinois (Champaign/Urbana), and received her medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Dr. Arnold completed her residency at the University of Chicago and Rheumatology fellowship at the University of California Los Angeles.
Orthopaedics and Rheumatology of the North Shore
4709 W. Golf Rd, Suite 1200
Skokie, IL 60076
- 2014-Present Partner, Orthopaedics & Rheumatology of the North Shore, Skokie, IL
- 2004-2014 Partner, Illinois Bone and Joint Institute, Morton Grove, IL
- 1999-2000 Scientific Assistant to the Gastroenterology Research Group
Policlinique Medicale Universitaire, Institut Universitaire de Medicine Sociale et Preventive, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 2004-Present Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine – Rheumatology
- 1999-2010 Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
Post Graduate Education
- 2001-2003 Fellow, University of California Los Angeles, Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology
- 1996-1999 Internal Medicine Residency, University of Chicago Hospitals
- 1992-1996 University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine – M.D.
- 1988-1992 University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana – B.A., English
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Arthritis Foundation Medical Honoree – Jingle Bell Run
- 2009-Present American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine, Certified Accreditation
- 2005 Chicago Magazine “New Ground Breaking Physicians”
- 1996 Merk Manual Award for Academic Excellence,
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- 1988-1992 Dean’s List, University of Illinois
- 1990-1992 Golden Key National Honor Society
- 1991-1992 Alpha Epsilon Delta, Pre-Medical Honor Society
- 1989-1990 Phi Eta Sigma, First Year Honor Society
- 2003-present Member, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- 2003-2013 Member, American Academy of Medical Acupuncture
- 2001-present Member, American College of Rheumatology
- 1997-present Member, American College of Physicians
- 2017 Rheumatology Research Foundation Board of Directors
- 2016 Rheumatology Research Foundation – Campaign Planning Task Force
- 2016 Course Director/Instructor Population Management for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 2015 Manuscript review Journal Ultrasound Medicine
- 2014-Present Manuscript review Arthritis Care and Research
- 2015 American College of Rheumatology Leadership Development Task Force
- 2014 Rheumatology Research Foundation – Foundation Member Champion
- 2012-14 American College of Rheumatology Mentor for Fellows
- 2014-17 American College of Rheumatology Communication Committee
- 2013 American College of Rheumatology Musculoskeletal examination reviewer
- 2011-16 American College of Rheumatology Board of Directors American College of Radiology Liaison, Appropriateness Committee
- 2011-14 American College of Rheumatology Board of Directors Arthritis
Foundation Liaison, Public Affairs
- 2010-13 American College of Rheumatology Board of Directors, Board Member
-Government Affairs Committee
-Education and Meeting Committee
-Rheumatology PAC Committee
- 2004 American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting Abstract Review
- 2004 American Board of Internal Medicine Relevance Reviewer, Rheumatology
- 2009 American College of Rheumatology task force ideal practice
- 2009 American College of Rheumatology task force strategic planning committee
- 2008 American College of Rheumatology task force musculoskeletal ultrasound
2018 Novartis Advisory Board
2016 United Rheumatology, Medical Advisory Board, Guidelines Development
2013-Present Crescendo Bioscience, Expert Panel
2014-Present AIM Specialty Health External Expect Panel
2008 Theralogix medical advisory board
2014-Present Managing Partner Orthopaedics & Rheumatology of the North Shore
2008-2013 Member, IBJI Physician Management Committee and Finance Committee
Member, Planning Committee for Gold Foundation Conference on
The Barriers to Humanism in Medicine, University of Chicago
Pritzker School of Medicine.
Advisor, Committee on Curriculum Revision, University of Pennsylvania
School of Medicine.
Advisor, Family Faculty (parents of chronically ill children), Children’s
Hospital of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
Gadeholt D., Arnold E., Arnold W. Correlation between Cytokine Levels and Power-Doppler Ultrasound Activity is BMI Dependent and Different in ACPA Positive and ACPA negative RA with Wrist Arthritis. Submitted 2018
Ike R, Baskaran A, Chao J, Concoff A, Wu C, Sun B, Brion P, Arnold E, Klashman D, Fitzgerald J, Kalunian KC. Prevlance of crystals in knee osteoarthritis: experience from patients undergoing arthroscopic procedures. J Clin Rheumatol (in press).
Arnold, E. et Al, Physician Visits Create a Bottleneck in RA Management. The Rheumatologist 2015;9:44-46.
Ike, R., et. Al, Ultrasound in American Rheumatology Practice: Report of the American College of Rheumatology Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Task Force. Arthritis Care and Research 2010;62:1206-1219.
Ike R., Somers E., Arnold E., Arnold W., Ultrasound of the Kness During Voluntary Quadriceps Contraction: A Technique for Detecting Otherwise Occult Effusions. Arthritis Care and research 2010;62:725-729.
Kane D., Bruyn G., Arnold E., Grassi W. Musculoskeletal Ultrasound in Rheumatology:
A Rheumatologist’s perspective. Arthritis Rheum, A&R.
Arnold E., Pencharz J., Grossman J., Traina S., Lal A., MacLeam C. Measuring Quality
In Arthritis Care: The Arthritis Foundation’s Quality Indicator Set for
Rheumatoid Arthritis. Semin Arthritis Rheum..
Arnold E., Khanna D., Paulus H., Goodman M. Acute Intra-articular Injection Site
Reaction To Intra-articular Etanercept Administration. Arthritis Rheum
Arnold E., Blank L., Race K., Cipparrone N. Can Professionalism
Be Measured? The Development of a Scale for Use in the Medical
Environment. Acad. Med. 1998 Oct, 73(10): 1119-21.
Erin Arnold. Great Expectations – The Promises and Problems of
Gene Therapy Today. The American Journal of Ethics and
Medicine Spring 1996:26-27.
Erin Arnold. Relevance of John Donne to Medical Career Preparation.
The Pharos of Alpha Omega Alpha 1993;56(3):33-35.
Arnold E.L. and Arnold W.J. Correspondence – Use of Glucosamine and Chondroitin
Sulfate in the management of Osteoarthritis. JAAOS 2001;9(5)
Arnold E.L. and Arnold W.J. Prayer and Spirituality. Physicians’ Information and Education Resource (PIER) Project. American College of Physicians – American Society of Internal Medicine.
Erin Arnold. I Will Never Forget Toxic Shock Syndrome. Caring for the
Dying: Identification and Promotion of Physician Competency.
American Board of Internal Medicine 1996-2000.
Abstracts/Presentations at Meetings
Arnold E., Arnold W. MSK US in Rheumatology: Diagnosis and US guided interventions.
American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine. New York, NY, August, 2005.
Arnold E., Arnold W. The Emerging Use of Ultrasonography in the Clinical Practice of
Rheumatology. American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX,
Arnold E., Arnold W. Introduction to Musculoskeletal Ultrasonography in Rheumatology;
A Patient-Centered Approach. Florida Society of Rheumatology Annual Meeting,
Orlando, FL, June, 2004.
Arnold E. Musculoskeletal Ultrasonography and Ultrasound Guided Interventions. American
College of Rheumatology Scientific Meeting, Chicago, Il, April, 2004.
Arnold E. Musculoskeletal Ultrasonography and Ultrasound Guided Interventions. 1st Annual
Women Leading Rheumatology Conference, Seattle, WA, March, 2004.
Arnold W., Arnold E. Musculoskeletal Ultrasound; Perspective from the USA. American College
of Rheumatology Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, October, 2003.
Arnold E., Blank L. Professionalism: A Pilot Project on Perceptions of
Medical Students and Internal Medicine Residents About the
Educational Environment. Journal of General Internal Medicine
Erin Arnold. A Survey of American Medical School Students and Internal
Medicine Residents’ Perceptions of Professional Attitudes; A
Presentation of Final Data. American Association of Medical
Colleges Annual Meeting, San Francisco, C.A., November, 1996.
Erin Arnold. A Survey of American Medical Students’ Perceptions of
Professional Attitudes; A Presentation of Preliminary Data.
American Association of Medical Colleges Annual Meeting.
Washington, D.C., October, 1995.
Erin Arnold. The Apple Doesn’t Fall Far From the Tree. Multi-cultural
Programs, The Board of Overseers of the School of Medicine,
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, P.A., 1995.
Erin Arnold. The Apple Doesn’t Fall Far From the Tree. American
Association of Medical Colleges Annual Meeting, Boston, M.A.,
Arnold W.J. and Arnold E.L. Arthroscopy. Kelley Textbook of Rheumatology 7th Edition.
Arnold E.L. and Arnold W.J. Complementary and Alternative Therapies. Primer on the
Rheumatic Diseases 12th Edition. Atlanta, Georgia, Arthritis Foundation, 2001.
Contributing Author, Housestaff Handbook of Primary Care Medicine; Alzheimer’s Disease, Bell’s Palsy, Parkinson’s Disease, Stroke/TIA, Tremor, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Vertigo. University of Chicago Press, 2000.
University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Medicine Division of Rheumatology.
Arthritis Foundation Quality Indicator Project. Developed Quality Indicators for the
assessment and treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis based on current guidelines, reviews
and expert opinions. Systematic literature searches were performed for each proposed
indicator and summarized in formal reviews. Presented to NCQA, JCAHO, NQF, CDC, and others. Indicator Development Team Leader Catherine MacLean, M.D., Ph.D.
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and American Board of Internal Medicine
(ABIM). Independent research project surveying medical school students and Internal
Medicine residents in order to develop a scale to measure Professionalism. With Gail
Morrison, M.D., Vice Dean of Students, University of Pennsylvania, and Linda
L. Blank, Vice President for Clinical Competence and Communication, ABIM.
2010-Present LINK – Financial sponsor and mentor for Chicago inner city teenager
2005-2006 Board Ronal Knox Montessori School, Wilmette, IL
1999 – Founding Member, The 21st Century Founders’ Society: Park Ridge
Center for the Study of Health, Faith, and Ethics.
1994 – Cofounder, Teen Mom Mentoring Program, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
1995 – Preceptor, first year medical students, Introduction to the Patient, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine.
1995 – Preceptor, physical diagnosis course for first year medical students, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
1993 – Teacher, Medical Students Teaching AIDS to Students, Philadelphia Public Schools, Philadelphia, PA.