Gout is a complex form of arthritis that can cause an attack of sudden burning pain, stiffness and swelling in a joint – usually a big toe. It is caused by too much uric acid in the blood. Your chances of gout are higher if you are highly stressed, overweight, drink too much alcohol or eat too much meat and fish high in chemicals called purines.
Most often the definitive diagnosis is made by sticking a needle into the affected joint to look for crystals – a potentially painful procedure. However, with our in-office ultrasound, we are able to make a needle-free diagnosis! Additionally, while undergoing therapy to cure your gout, we use ultrasound to monitor the uric acid deposits in patient’s joints. This enables us to see when the uric acid has been successfully removed – allowing patients to possibly discontinue medications and thereby avoid potential unnecessary side effects.
For more information on gout, we recommend visiting the National Institutes of Health or contact us for an appointment.